June 29, 2009

Everyone Is Dying

We've lost a number of celebrities in the last couple of weeks. It's almost a little depressing to wake up in the morning and see who else has died. I'm not usually one to really get worked up over celebrity deaths (I don't know them, after all, and people die everyday), but I was disappointed by the loss of Michael Jackson. He was a great performer and he really did a lot for music as a whole. He was a great musician who will be remembered for generations. He was the biggest superstar of our time.

One thing puzzles me, though. Why are people getting so bent out of shape about Billy Mays? I mean not to come across as being insensitive. It's sad when any human dies. But why would the death of Billy Mays raise so much attention? I mean ... what did he really do for humanity? Michael Jackson revolutionized pop music. Farrah Fawcett was a beloved actress for many, many years. No one had Billy Mays posters on their walls. No one went to Billy Mays record signings. Again, I mean no disrespect to the man. I'm sure he was a great fellow, but I'm not following the logic of the people greatly saddened by his passing.

Well...at least Bob Ross is still alive ... wait ... WHAT?! Bob Ross is dead?! WHAT?!! He's been dead for 14 years?!! Why doesn't anyone tell me this kind of thing?!

1 comment:

scottidog said...

Billy was actually more like a real person, and not a celebrity. He was just a working stiff, who made his living on TV. I suspect he was much less of a nut job than the others that passed this week.